Tuesday, May 15, 2007

How Language Works by David Crystal

This was a really good overview of language, which is no small feat. It was easy to read without being condescending. I skimmed the first few chapters about learning language, because that stuff is interesting but I still remember it from psych 425. I got hooked (on phonics, sort of) in the later chapters about morphemes (the smallest units of language that have meaning) because I'm into etymology (and also entomology, but that's different). He does a nice analysis of different language structures, although I would have liked more examples. There's also a good section about electronic communication. Unlike Crystal, I'm resistant to a lot of the ways English is changing, mostly because I'm a grammar slut of the Eats, Shoots, and Leaves variety. And yes, I believe in Oxford Commas. Anyway. Language! It's neat!

p.s. the only infix in English is "fucking," as in un-fucking-believable or fan-fucking-tastic.

2 comments:

aimee said...

i took a language theory class once, and we were talking about infixes and she said the same thing.
question: isn't 'freaking' the same for those of us that don't swear?
as in un-freaking-believable or fan-freaking-tastic?

i only ask BECAUSE fan-freaking-tastic was my reaction to the office finale. omg.

You know what they say about girl carpenters? said...

well, yeah. But this is a blog about books and I didn't figure I'd get many chances to say fuck.

I haven't been watching the office so I have to wait for the DVDs aaaah.