Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield

I decided to read this book because I read somewhere that Sheffield said some things about the Replacements, who are my favorite band for many reasons, the least fucked-up of which is that they are very good. By page 5 I didn't give a shit about them and was instead completely in love with Renee. Renee is Sheffield's late wife, and this book is an homage to her, as well as an account of the ways music affects us. I am a sucker for mixtapes, I'm always making them for boys I'm secretly in love with (this has yet to work out for me), and yeah, there are some songs that just become synonymous with certain times in our lives. I never listen to Transatlanticism anymore (though I still love it), because it reminds me of junior year, knitting and crying in my room. Also there was no heater, so that album makes me feel cold. Anyway, file this one under Books About Love that I Don't Hate, and Books That Make Me Wish I Was Born Ten Years Earlier. And read it now.

see also: Tiny Mix Tapes, especially this one.

1 comment:

Laurie Stark said...

I owned a 1983 BMW for exactly one month before it died (but it was a great month, that was a fucking beautiful car) and it was January in Wisconsin and the heater didn't really work and exhaust leaked into the car whenever you drove it and I didn't own any CDs so my boyfriend let my borrow the Cat Power album You are Free which is the only thing I listened to for that entire month (and subsequently stopped listening to it when the car died).

Now anytime I hear a song that album, I feel very cold and I smell exhaust. It's totally bizarre.