Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon

So, it's been about a week since I finished this, because I was waiting on purpose to collect my thoughts and write a really good review. But of course I've forgotten most of what I wanted to say.
It's taken me a while to jump on the Chabon bandwagon. I've started Kavalier and Clay three or four times and never gotten into it. Wonder Boys was a little slow to start but I was hooked around the time he said shibboleth (I'm not really a you-had-me-at-hello kind of girl). Seriously, the man's vocabulary is insane and wonderful.
I finished the book on the train to work and felt really unsteady. It was just so true and ordinary and heartbreaking. So I guess I'll stick to mysteries while commuting.

When I got to work and told J.P. about it he goes, "oh, like that movie with Katie Holmes?" Urgh, how disappointing. But I'll probably watch it anyway.

I'm not summarizing, deal with it. It was hilarious and tragic, with a little Gatsby thing going on, but better than Gatsby. so, read it.

No comments: